What is cool about this job
Started in Austin, Texas by well-known serial entrepreneur Jason Cohen (@asmartbear), WP Engine has maintained its gutsy startup roots while experiencing dramatic growth. This growth provides many opportunities for engineers at WP Engine to take on hard problems at scale, yet we are still small enough for your contributions to have a noticeable impact on the company’s future.
As a consequence of our focus on our customers, we have been blessed with tremendous growth. Our growth provides many opportunities to solve hard problems at scale and to deliver new products that continue to make WP Engine the platform of choice for online agility. You will be an essential part of taking our platform to the next level both in scale and functionality.
We are searching for an experienced software architect to join our fast-growing R&D team to help lead our microservices transition. You will partner with our engineering teams to unlock innovation in our platform in service to our customers. Bring your passion for the web and help us invent the future of digital.
Are you a smart engineer, an excellent communicator, and a passionate teacher? You may be the architect that we are looking for.
The day to day
- Research and evaluate new technologies; develop recommendations for adoption or non-adoption of those technologies.
- Design, validate, and communicate macro-architecture for engineering teams to reference and develop toward.
- Review designs from others and provide constructive feedback.
- Lead by example and influence the organization to continuously improve our technology stack.
- Work with product management to understand new product requirements. Provide some options for architectural approaches that make different trade-offs.
- Collaborate with partners, both internal and external, to ensure requirements are understood and met by the systems we build.
Your expertise and passion
- Track record of large scale system design and integration through microservices; including migrating from monolithic architecture to microservices.
- Experience leading teams in designing and writing high quality, maintainable, deployable, testable, and highly usable software applications (in any language).
- Shown history of continuous learning and ability to stay ahead of with technology trends.
- Natural problem solving abilities, an inquisitive personality, and an eagerness to take on the challenge of big problems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to influence peers.
- You are passionate about working alongside customers to figure out what solution best fits their needs.
- Have previously been part of a microservices architecture implementation.
- Experience working with complex, large-scale public cloud deployments hosted across international data centers.
- Production experience with containerization technologies (Docker and Kubernetes), microservices, and service meshes (e.g,. Istio).
- Experience solving problems with multi-tenancy and distributed systems at scale in the cloud.
- Fluent programming in Python and Go.
- Familiarity with REST, gRPC, and GraphQL protocols.
The perks & benefits
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD, and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off?)
- Transportation (24x7 Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Monday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
At WP Engine we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
To all recruitment agencies: WP Engine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, WP Engine employees or any other organization location. WP Engine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.