What is cool about this job
Are you an experienced lead software engineer who is in love with building software that transforms customers into fanatics? Do you enjoy developing the engineers around you into masterful electron commanders? If you build it, are you prepared to operate it in production? Does your code resemble the master craftsmanship of a Samurai sword? If you design it, are you excited to inspire your team to swarm on the implementation with excellence and zeal?
Are you ready for 90,000 customers to rely on your ability to design & deliver fault tolerant systems that can serve their 600,000 websites 6,000,000,000 times a day without flinching?
Then you might be ready to join our R&D team to help build the future of the way the Internet will be hosted. Our next generation customer-workload architecture supporting billions of daily requests, scalable planetary service-mesh platform, and telemetric intelligence driven by petabytes of data across AWS and GCE will be your domain. Our polyglot stack will allow you to both explore new skills as well as provide thought-leadership and department-wide evangelism around your subject matter expertise in technologies such as NGINX, Varnish, WordPress, Django, Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, Terraform, Golang microservices, and Ansible.
THE DAY TO DAY
- Write, test, integrate, debug, and tackle software applications that are resilient, robust, and perform at scale
- Research and evaluate new technologies; develop recommendations for adoption or non-adoption of those technologies.
- Design, validate, and communicate architecture
- Review designs from others and provide constructive feedback.
- Lead by example and influence the organization to continuously improve our technology stack.
- Continuously improve WP Engine’s secure, performant software platform that supports 10’s of millions of end users
- Write clean, maintainable code.
- Improve test coverage and build deployment pipelines to safely and rapidly push new code to production.
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure that your frequent, incremental code changes contribute to our customers
- We are fanatical about automation because we invest for the future. You will be expected to constantly look for opportunities to automate and optimize
- Discover, research, and evangelize new technologies then incorporate them into our software development practices, team and organization-wide initiatives (e.g. Kubernetes is a recent focus)
- Further an ecosystem of learning and professional development for other specialists
- Be a strong technical leader and advocate for the other members of your scrum team
YOUR EXPERTISE AND PASSION
- 10+ years of writing high quality, maintainable, deployable, testable, and highly usable software applications (in any language, Python/Go preferred)
- Shown history of continuous learning and ability to stay ahead of with technology trends
- Natural problem solving abilities, an inquisitive personality, and an eagerness to pursue the challenge of big problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Track record of building resilient, scalable, enterprise-grade solutions while nurturing engineering standard methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or a related field) OR equivalent experience
- Experience working with complex, large-scale public cloud deployments hosted across international data centers
- Production experience with containerization technologies (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Experience solving problems with multi-tenancy and distributed systems at scale in the cloud
THE PERKS & BENEFITS
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD, and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off?)
- Transportation (24x7 Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Monday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
To all recruitment agencies: WP Engine does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, WP Engine employees or any other organization location. WP Engine is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.