What is cool about this job
Started in Austin, Texas by well-known serial entrepreneur Jason Cohen (@asmartbear), WP Engine has maintained its scrappy startup roots while experiencing explosive growth. This growth provides many opportunities for engineers at WP Engine to take on hard problems at scale, yet we are still small enough for your contributions to have a noticeable impact on the company’s future.
We are searching for experienced software engineers to join our rapidly expanding R&D team to help build our next generation architecture, create new tools for developers using our platform, and provide intelligent insights to our 90,000+ customers in 130+ countries. Python, Go, Kubernetes, Docker, and Ansible are some of the technologies that you’ll work with, and experience in these domains is desired. But we are also happy to help you learn our stack as long as you have a history of mastering other languages and technologies quickly. We hire for talent and potential, we want smart people to help invent the future of web hosting.
We see our culture as a high-reaching advantage and believe that it is important to hire the best and ensure that we provide an environment where the best get better. If you are smart, great at solving problems, a hard worker, and an excellent teammate, you may be the engineer that we are looking for.
The day to day
- Write, test, integrate, debug, and solve software applications that are resilient, robust, and perform at scale
- Continuously improve WP Engine’s secure, performant software platform that supports 10’s of millions of end users
- Write clean, maintainable code.
- Improve test coverage and build deployment pipelines to safely and rapidly push new code to production.
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure that your frequent, incremental code changes contribute to our customers
- We are fanatical about automation because we invest for the future. You will be expected to constantly look for opportunities to automate and optimize
- Discover, research, and evangelize new technologies then incorporate them into our software development practices, team and organization-wide initiatives (e.g. Kubernetes is a recent focus)
- Further an ecosystem of learning and professional development for other specialists
- Be a strong technical leader and advocate for the other members of your scrum team
Your expertise and passion
- 7+ years of writing high quality, maintainable, deployable, testable, and highly usable software applications (in any language, Python/Go preferred)
- Proven history of continuous learning and ability to stay ahead of with technology trends
- Natural problem-solving abilities, an inquisitive personality, and an eagerness to pursue the challenge of big problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Track record of building resilient, scalable, enterprise-grade solutions while nurturing engineering standard methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or a related field) OR equivalent experience
- Experience working with complex, large-scale public cloud deployments hosted across international data centers
- Production experience with containerization technologies (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Experience solving problems with multi-tenancy and distributed systems at scale in the cloud
The perks & benefits
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Stock Options (Every employee is an owner in the company)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD, and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off?)
- Transportation (24x7 Downtown parking or commuter reimbursement)
- Lunch (Provided Monday – Thursday)
- Gym membership discount
WP Engine is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As a US employer, WP Engine is required to verify all employees, regardless of citizenship or national origin, are eligible to work in the United States.